Tips from dermatologist, Dr. Whitney Bowe:
- DO USE a facewash Salicylic acid, which can exfoliate the skin as well as decrease inflammation. Salicylic acid is unique because it’s very effective at fighting acne, but it has a soothing, calming effect on skin. One of my favorite Salicylic Acid products on the market is the Aveeno® Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser.
- DON’T USE Salifylic acid more than one or twice a day, as it can cause irritation or peeling.
- DO NOT pick! As tempting as it is to try to squeeze or pick at the pimple, don’t!
- DO USE a spot treatment with Benzoyl Peroxide like Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10 and your skin will thank you. It will either prevent the pimple from coming up altogether, or the pimple that comes up will be ½ the size it would have been otherwise.
CLEAN & CLEAR® PERSA-GEL® 10
PERSA-GEL® 10 contains maximum strength benzoyl peroxide to help fight and treat acne.
Suggested retail price: $5.99
Availability: at retail stores nationwide
AVEENO® Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser
- Removes dirt and oil while leaving skin clear, smooth and naturally even-looking
- Self-foaming cleanser combines 0.5% salicylic acid to help clear skin and helps prevent breakouts
- Oil-free, hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
Suggested retail price: $6.49-$6.99 for 6 fl. oz.
Available: at national food, drug and mass merchandisers