While September brings the official end of summer, it also marks the start of something every woman should be aware of – Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, and the launch of the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund (LMOCF).
The launch of the fund is very personal to the Laura Mercier cosmetics family. Claudia Poccia, President & CEO of the organization, lost her sister to the disease last year, and Laura Mercier has watched a dear friend battle the disease for several years. Please click on “Our Fund” to hear their personal stories.
Raising awareness is more than a phrase in the case of ovarian cancer. Often referred to as the “silent killer,” ovarian cancer is the leading cause of death among gynecological cancers in the United States, and the fifth leading cause of cancer death among American women.
We’ve bulleted out a few simple ways your readers can get involved throughout the month. We’d truly appreciate any way you could share these details, so that we can raise awareness and fund research and educational efforts that will help diagnose, treat and support women with ovarian cancer.
- National ‘Wear Teal Day’: spread awareness this Friday, September 7 by wearing teal and share a photo of your look on Laura Mercier’s Facebook page to show solidarity with other fans!
- Facebook: change your Facebook cover photo to match Laura Mercier’s in support of women affected by Ovarian Cancer. Note to fashionistas: This photo was shot by legendary photographer, Patrick Demarchelier.
- Shop for a Cause: 100 percent of the profits from the sale of the Bonne Mine Healthy Glow for Face & Cheeks Crème Colour Palette ($48) and Lip Glace in Rose Hope ($24) will be donated to the Fund.
- Raise Awareness During Fashion’s Night Out: Before embarking upon your store-hopping adventure, visit one of Laura Mercier’s 21 participating FNO retailers (Sephora, Bloomingdale’s, Saks, Lord & Taylor, Henri Bendel, Bergdorf Goodman) to pick up educational material and a teal ribbon to wear throughout the night. Share the facts with everyone woman who asks you what it means.
- Twitter: retweet mentions that include the #LMOCF hashtag; each RT results in a $1 donation by Marie Claire to the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund